Asylum seekers who apply for refugee status in South Africa face numerous challenges, including limited access to social assistance programs. But, the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) offers certain social assistance to asylum seekers, including the COVID-19 SRD grant.
This article provides an overview of the SASSA grant for asylum seekers, including the eligibility criteria, application process, and the challenges that asylum seekers may encounter when applying for social assistance in South Africa. We will also discuss How Much Refugees And Asylum Seekers Received In SASSA SRD Grants.
Can Refugees Apply For SASSA?
South Africa is heavily populated but not with its citizens only. It is home to so many refugees, but who is a refugee in the eyes of South African law?
South Africa’s Home Affairs department classifies a refugee as someone who has fled their country of origin and is seeking recognition and protection in the Republic of South Africa, whose application is still under consideration.
The answer to the question “Can refugees apply for SASSA?” is Yes! Refugees qualify to apply for SASSA if they meet other eligibility criteria.
Here are the additional eligibility terms:
- The applicant has to be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee.
- The applicant and their child must be resident in South Africa.
- Applicant must be at least 60 years.
- The applicant must refrain from receiving another social grant for him or herself.
- Must be officially registered on the Home Affairs database
Please Contact SASSA for more eligibility information. Even though the list will be updated, do your due diligence if there are any changes.
You can contact the SASSA call centre about your eligibility at 0800 60 10 11 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Much Refugees And Asylum Seekers Received From SASSA SRD Grants
SASSA has paid R350 social relief of distress (SRD) grants to 4,102 refugees and 15,258 asylum seekers since the introduction of the grant. The Social Development minister has revealed that Sassa paid R34,456,800 to refugees and R63,113,750 to asylum seekers.
Refugees and asylum seekers eligible for the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant received R350 per month.
SASSA Status Check For Asylum Seekers
To check the current status of the application and eligibility for social assistance as an asylum seeker, you can follow these steps:
- Contact the nearest SASSA office or the Department of Home Affairs office to inquire about the status of your application.
- Provide necessary documents, including your asylum seeker permit and any other supporting documents requested by SASSA.
- When your application has been approved, you can apply for social assistance programs, such as the COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant or other forms of social grants, depending on their specific circumstances.
- Asylum seekers can receive help from NGOs that assists refugees and asylum seekers.
Accessing social assistance as an asylum seeker can be complex. It’s important to note this. Seeking assistance from refugee and asylum-seeker support organisations is recommended.
Contact the SASSA call centre at their hotline 0800 60 10 11 or via email email@example.com.
SASSA Grant For Asylum Seekers Application
To apply for the grant as an asylum seeker, follow these steps:
- You must pass the eligibility criteria for the COVID-19 SRD grant. These criteria include being unemployed, not receiving any other form of a social grant or unemployment insurance, and You must not earning any income.
- Visit the nearest SASSA office for an application form or download the form from the SASSA website.
- Complete the grant application form and submit it to the nearest SASSA office along with the required documents, which may include their asylum seeker permit, proof of income, and proof of address.
- Wait for their application to be processed. If the application is approved, they will receive the grant via a bank transfer or other means.
The application process for the COVID-19 SRD grant as an asylum seeker can be complex. It’s important to note this. Seeking assistance from organisations specialising in refugee and asylum seeker support is recommended.
Also, asylum seekers may be eligible for other social assistance SASSA offers, depending on their circumstances. They can inquire about their eligibility for additional grants and programs by contacting their nearest SASSA office.
How to Apply For SASSA SRD Food Voucher
How to Apply For SASSA SRD Food Voucher. Read on to learn the steps you can take to apply for this kind of assistance.
How to Unblock Your SASSA Card
In this article, we will show you how to easily unblock your SASSA card and how to block your SASSA card online
How To Apply for SRD Grant as A Refugee or Asylum Seeker
Here’s everything you should know about applying for the SRD Grant as an asylum seeker or refugee in South Africa.
How to Change SASSA Card PIN
How to Change SASSA Card PIN. You can change your SASSA PIN if you have either forgotten it or want to change it for security reasons
What Date Does SASSA Pay?
What Date Does SASSA Pay? Read on to learn the dates SASSA pays the beneficiaries.
What Are the Requirements to Qualify for a SASSA Pension?
Requirements to Qualify for a SASSA Pension. Read on to learn the requirements for one to qualify for a SASSA pension.
How to Check SASSA R350 Application Status
All you need to know about the SASSA R350 application status check and the like will be discussed in this article.
Are SASSA Gold Cards Still Valid?
Are SASSA Gold Cards Still Valid? Read on to get more information about your SASSA/Postbank gold card.
SASSA R350 Grant: What Does ‘Debtor’ Mean?
This article aims to clarify the meaning of the 'Debtor' status about the SRD grant. explain what actions to take when receiving this status
How Much Is SASSA Disability Grant in 2023?
How Much Is SASSA Disability Grant. Today we are looking at the SASSA Disability Grant in further detail to help determine assistance expected.
Can I Apply For SASSA SRD If I Have NSFAS?
Can I Apply For SASSA SRD If I Have NSFAS?. Here’s what you need to know.
Required Documents For SASSA Child Support Grant
There are a number of required documents for SASSA child support that you must provide with your SASSA child grant application
How Long Will SASSA R350 Grant Last?
In this article, we will look at how long the SASSA R350 last, its continuation, payment duration, and other alternatives to the SASSA grant.